Ever since reading Born to Run, I was curious to learn more about Eric Orton and his run training and coaching recommendations. For those that haven’t read the book, well, first of all, what are you waiting for?
But more seriously…
Eric Orton is an experienced running coach that, according to Born to Run at least, has great tips for improving your running performance. And while Eric hosts running workshops and coaching programs, as well as offers premium training plans on his own website Running with Eric, I wanted to try and compile some free workout and exercise ideas that you could use to try and put his wisdom into action.
From what I’ve read about Eric, he’s a big proponent of foot strength, eating whole foods and using visualization and goal setting to help you achieve things that you thought were previously impossible. He also lives in Jackson Hole Wyoming, at the feet of the Teton Mountain Range. So you know trail running seems to be his specialty.
Alright, that’s probably enough pre-amble for now. So let me share with you some of my favourite running resources from Eric Orton, designed to help you run farther, faster, easier.
Eric Orton Running Training Tips:
Below are some of the best videos and tips about Eric Orton’s approach to run coaching, that I could find online…
- Run Drills and Technique by Born to Run coach Eric Orton is probably one of the best free online videos sharing Eric’s tips for improving your running form. By improving your form you can be much more efficient. And you’re also less likely to injure yourself. So watch this 9 minute video to start learning what you can do today to improve your running form and performance.
- Foot Strengthening Drills are a huge part of Eric’s running philosophy. From the interviews I’ve read, he seems to think this is the biggest area of improvement for most runners. That’s because feet are the foundation of your running. And any improvements in strength really help to improve your performance and, the stress and impact on the rest of your body. While the video above is pretty short you can read the description for a bit more information. Additionally…
- You can boost your run speed by improving foot strength. While this isn’t a video by Eric Orton, it does provide another easy to use foot strength exercise that can help you get moving faster, and potentially protect you from injury.
- The Tarahumara Workout is another Eric Orton recommended series of exercises. These quick exercises don’t require much equipment, and they can help you prepare your body to run more efficiently and more effectively. After all, if it was good enough for the raramuri, it’s probably good enough for you! Although, I’m not sure they have exercise balls in the Copper Canyon. Finally…
- Read this Free Interview with Eric Orton in order to get a much more in-depth understanding of his running philosophy, and just how impressive of a high-performance athlete and coach he is. At the same time, Eric comes across as a friendly, helpful guy who just wants to help people achieve big hairy goals that previously seemed impossible. Pretty cool, right?
By the way, I’ve also purchased a copy of Eric’s book, The Cool Impossible. And I’ll plan to write about it here once I’ve received it and read it. In the meantime, I hope you found these run training resources from Eric Orton to be of value.
Feel free to drop me a note if you have any other Eric Orton resources. I’m always eager to learn more about this successful running coach as well as his training tips for runners.
Updated: Eric Orton has a new video up. And it looks like he might be planning to do more. Here’s to more “Running with Eric” Videos!